I was visiting Ann Arbor, Michigan yesterday during a quick overnight trip downstate. One of my favorite things to do when in the “big city” (which thankfully I’m able to do about once a month) is to go shopping at Whole Foods. I love looking for for new allergen- friendly food products that may not be carried or yet introduced into our local organic co-op that I love and support. I’ve been very skeptical of the Whipped toppings that are vegan and on the market due to lack of positive reviews, not to mention taste.
I purchased So Delicious’ Whipped Coco Topping yesterday and brought it home for a family taste test. Our boys dipped fresh strawberries into the whipped topping and it was oh SO DELICIOUS!
Mind you this was the first time EVER that my children have had anything even remotely close to Whipped Cream and it definitely fit the bill! They loved it and I completely endorse this product for fluffiness, flavor, just the right amount of added sweetness and it’s going to be a crowd pleaser in our dairy, nut and egg free home!
Thank you So Delicious Coco Whip for giving us yet another amazing allergen- friendly
product that every kid should be able to dip freshly picked strawberries into during the summer months and so much more!
I have literally made these at least 50 times & people cannot tell they are vegan because they are so moist! Taylor’s classmates rave over these cupcakes and beg me to make them for his classroom! These are a crowd pleaser for sure!
I like to use organic ingredients other than the confectioner’s powder. The organic confectioner’s powder takes about 20 minutes to beat using a Kitchen Aid Electric Stand-Up Mixer and even then, I couldn’t get all of the lumps out! Use Domino or another brand— you will get a fluffier and lighter result without all of the lumps! I’m a bit of a perfectionist in the baking department…lots of trial and error with vegan baking!
Enjoy & Bon Appetit
- 1 cup soy milk (or any other dairy free milk, if not nut free you could use Cashew or Almond Milk)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (or white distilled vinegar if you have on hand)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil (vegetable oil works just fine as well)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder, Dutch-processed or regular (Hersey’s is not contaminated w/nuts)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with paper or foil liners.
- Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar in a large bowl, and set aside for a few minutes to curdle. Add the sugar, oil, vanilla extract, if using, to the soy milk mixture and beat until foamy. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add in two batches to wet ingredients and beat until no large lumps remain.
- Pour into liners, filling 3/4 of the way. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.
- Frost and enjoy!
CREAMY VEGAN BUTTERCREAM VANILLA FROSTING
- 1 Cup Earth Balance Buttery Spread Vegan Margarine – both soy and soy free work the same
- 2 T. Soy Milk
- 1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 2 c. confectioners’ sugar
- In the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment cream the margarine, soy milk, vanilla and salt until incorporated. Slowly add the confectioner’s sugar and mix on low for 1 minute. Increase speed to medium and beat for 4-6 minutes until light and fluffy. Feel free to add more sugar to taste as some recipes call for up to 4 cups of sugar. I think 2 cups are sufficient and taste delicious!
Now that it’s October my children are literally counting down the days till Halloween. I thought it would be helpful to list several of the Halloween candy brands that are EGG, DAIRY & NUT-FREE. Please remember to ALWAYS double check each ingredient list as ingredients may change. This list should be used as a guide only. These include:
Smarties, Starburst Fruit Chews, Starburst Candy Corn, Air Heads, Skittles, Dum Dums, Dum Dums with Jelly Bean Centers, Yummy Earth Natural Candies- most products, Dots, Ring Pops, Amanda’s Own Confections Chocolates & Candy, Twizlers, Surf Sweets Organic Gummies, Glee Gum, Divvies Chocolates & Candy, Enjoy Life Foods Products/Candy Bars, Pez, Swedish Fish, Laffy Taffy- most products, & some Wonka candy products.