Summer is in full force here in Northern Michigan. Last week my youngest son and I went raspberry picking at one of our local organic farms, a tradition we have shared the last couple of summers. Needless to say, we have more raspberries than we know what to do with. This afternoon our youngest begged me to help him make homemade popsicles. He is my berry boy and eats berries like they are going out of style!
This is quick and easy recipe I hope you will enjoy! It took us less than 15 minutes from start to placing the popsicle molds in the freezer. By the way, I use BPA- free popsicle molds which are easy to find these days. Also, you can use any kind of fresh berries you have on hand.
Ingredients: Preparation Time: 15 minutes Freeze Time: 4-6 hours
2/3 cup raw organic cane sugar
1 cup blueberries
1 cup raspberries
1 cup strawberries
1/4 freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Put sugar & 1/3 cup water into a small saucepan. Over medium heat bring to a boil while continually stirring to make the simple syrup. Set aside once sugar has dissolved.
- While simple syrup is cooling, clean and wash berries.
- Add washed berries to a food processor or blender (your choice.)
Squeeze the juice of one lemon, about 1/4 cup lemon juice and pour into food processor and puree mixture until smooth and well combined.
- Slowly add 1/3 cup simple syrup to berry mixture. Taste the mixture. Some people enjoy more tart popsicles and others like theirs’ very sweet. You can reserve the remaining simple syrup for adult mojitos later!
- Slowly pour the mixture in your popsicle molds and freeze for approximately 4-6 hours.
- Now you’ll have delicious and healthy popsicles for the entire family to enjoy!